Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dominion Root Beer

Brand: Old Dominion
Brewed in: Dover, DE
Where to find: DC-area
Website: www.olddominion.com/

 •  •  •

Packaging/Label: Old Dominion's beers have really nicely designed labels but, unfortunately, their root beer got the cold shoulder on this one. Don't get me wrong, it's not a badly designed label (their typography is well done and readable - and who doesn't love the inclusion of woodland creatures?), but I do question their color palette. How so? Wellllllll, what do YOU think of when you see the colors medium brown and golden yellow together? What doesn't help the matter are the additional brown splatters on the 6-pack carrier. Commence bathroom humor!

Aroma: This one threw me for a loop. A sweet blast that faded to what I can only describe as... the scent of stale air (really).

Bite: Mild bite

Flavor: Welcome to the Rootie Rumble! There is a battle going on inside this bottle and the main event is honey vs sugar. They are both dominant and both want to overpower your taste buds but, much to their dismay, their battle is the focal point instead of a clear distinguishable taste. Some hints of vanilla float around and then there is this mysterious mild dry-tasting spice thrown into the mix (is this dry-tasting spice the culprit of the aforementioned stale smell?!)

Should you buy it? Buy a loose bottle or two, but I wouldn't invest in a case unless you're interested in finding out how quickly you can develop diabetes.

•  •  •

Additional Notes:

I still have a few more bottles to drink up, so I'll keep this updated if they fair differently. As it stands though, while I'm not head over heels on what I've already drank, I'd be open to trying a diet version of this root beer (if it's out there) to focus more on the root beer flavoring.

Overall Rating:


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree about the Fructose Face-off! Much too sweet for my taste (boy, never thought I'd say that about anything).
    Though, I did not have the pleasure of seeing the brown splatter cardboard packaging, which would probably add a bit more to the...ambiance, opposed to the label's...uh.... scat resemblance, Old Dominion's choice of colors actually had me anticipating a syrup-y sweet concoction, so I wasn't overly surprised at what I discovered within the confines of the bottle.

    ReplyDelete